Thursday, March 20, 2008

No more Urban Typhoon







And so the deed is done. Last night we presented our ideas to the Koli people and it was a fantastic time. We had something like 11 groups set up displays in the village community building and a whole lot of villagers showed up to check it out. Our presentation was very well received and we were told by many villagers that it was the most easily understood and the most realistic and doable plan for the future. It was exciting to hear. Not that I think they'll do it. No expectations... no worries. Also, as a gift, I made a lamp for the village. I just felt like making something in the spirit of the place so I found some rusty wire in the trash and bought some scrap cloth from a tailor and made it into a lamp. Fun stuff. They really liked it alot more than I thought they would. I'm happy to leave something here. They also joked that someone may start making them in the village... and they may not have been joking.

Today I will roam the southern tip of Mumbai and go see the Gateway of India, Chowpatty beach (where Katy's dad is from) and whatever I can find between those two. Tonight begins the celebration for the Holi festival. I am really excited about this one. It is a revelry, as best I can understand and explain it. They get wild in the streets and pelt each other with colored water balloons. Ought to be fun. I brought a waterproof camera just for the occasion. Tomorrow I will rest and then tomorrow night there is a party being hekd for the Urban Typhoon participants. Sunday, I have been invited to a quiet, secluded beach in Goa, just South of here, with the Urban Typhoon organizers. I'll enjoy the break from the urban madness before heading to Dehli on Wednesday for the last leg of my trip. Ok, I'm hungry. Off to breakfast.