Thursday, March 27, 2008

New Delhi

So today was my first day in New Delhi. It is definitely different from where I've been up to now. For one, there are far more stores and bazaars. This means that there are also a heck of alot more people trying to sell you something or get money from you. They call them touts and Delhi is known for them. Every 5 steps you hear "You buy Mango," or "You want go to Kashmir?" or "Come, look!" or "Hey frioend!" I just started speaking German to people when I turn to them and they lose interest. Heh heh. I walked around much of Old Delhi today and explored some bazaars. I went through some twisting corridors set deep within a complex of buildings today that houses the silk market. Amazing! I'm actually sorry I didn't take video. I was just too awestruck and trying too hard to keep away from people selling me things. I did some shopping here and there this morning. I was worried about having to barter with people but it turns out I'm not too bad at it. That or I'm still getting raped on prices but I just feel good about it. I think the former. I sat at the hotel and wrote a bunch of postcards which I will send out tomorrow if I can find a post office. I think that shouldn't be too hard. I think tomorrow I will check out some sites in the newer part of town. It will be nice to escape some of the grime. Slums and poor parts of towns and old parts of towns are indescribably grimy. Ok, well I was going to upload a couple of pictures but the computers are too slopw so that will have to wait. Only words for now. So it goes. Hopefully I can get some thesis work done tonight. Bye all...