Monday, July 23, 2007

Old man come back down the mountain...



Well, this weekend I went to a lake at the top of a mountain for a little getaway with work. It was a nice place... this was what I woke up to for a couple of mornings...



And this was the view from my balcony...



And these were the birds who had a nest of chicks in the tree outside my room... anyone know what they are?



And this was the breakfast I ate the first morning while I worked on my thesis (made some headway this weekend!). I moved the writing desk and comfy chair from inside the room out to my balcony. That balcony door did not get shut from the moment I walked into that room...



And there was a campfire on the beach Saturday night...



And afterwards I laid around and played the harmonica for several people.



And Speaking of harmonica, I made Katy a birthday present while I was there. I'm sure she wouldn't mind if you saw...


Then as soon as I got home from this retreat, I changed what was packed in my bags and flew to Las Vegas to do a couple days of inspections for work. It's nice to do something different. Though I know it's no big deal to them, it's also nice to be trusted to come do this. Tonight I'm sitting in the company condo writing this. There's a thunderstorm raging outside which I wouldn't have expected in the desert. Turns out monsoon season has started. Today was so humid! It was like being back in Oklahoma again! (God forbid!) These are pictures I took of sunset over the mountains this morning when I went out for coffee.





But this is what's become of Vegas today. I swear this picture wasn't staged, just something I happened to catch at a random stoplight. yes, those are all different construction companies...


So like I said, I'm winding down in Vegas now. I should be going back to San Diego tomorrow afternoon after a morning round of inspections. I've been gaining slow but steady headway on my thesis... that's been nice. Right now I'm working on being able to define pre-Modern, Modern and post-Modern architecture as moral groupings instead of as social, economic or political ones as has always been the case. I'm really getting into this thing... and the school year hasn't even started yet! Hope I can keep up the pace!

Katy gets here in just over 3 weeks!


Goodnight, everyone...