Saturday, April 01, 2006

So close to done...

So it's been a couple of weeks since I wrote. I'm staring down the barrel of the last 3 weeks of school and the pace has definitely picked up. I haven't been able to get into my project this semester so it's come along slowly. I spent a week working on a fish sculpture, did some painting, and just generally wasted alot of time being at school but doing nothing. I decided that if I can't rationalize my work this time then I'll just do the sexiest drawings I've ever done and see what happens. I figure after five years of education I should be able to intuitively create something of value. This project is really building on everything else I've learned. I'm not into it at all but I just keep adding lines to paper... layering ideas upon ideas in hopes that eventually it will add up to a complete work. The French neoclassical painter Jean-Auguste-Dominique Ingres told Edgar Degas to "Draw lines, young man, draw lines." I'll let you know how that goes.

I went to an [architecture] "Fancy Dress Party" last night which was a birthday party for all of the April birthdays. Everyone dressed up... I wore my suit and hat with a rose boutonniere that I picked up from a flower shop across the street. They brought out a chocolate cake at about 2 this morning and sang happy birthday to us. There were no utensils so I started us off taking bites out of the cake as it was passed around. I got the whole cake smashed in my face and proceeded to spread the love. It was a great time. Picture a bunch of students standing around in suits and evening gowns... covered in chocolate cake. Good times...

So today I'm putting a job application in with a stone mason in Chinatown. I saw an ad in his window so I figure, what the heck. I've got a couple-dozen or so applications floating around but haven't heard anything yet. I'm really looking forward to being here this summer... but only if I can find a job. I'm working every lead I get but jobs are tough to come by in Ottawa. Here's to luck.

This next week, I have a final project due in my computer class (which I'll work on for the rest of today) and I have to get to work on a paper for Thomas' class. Studio is going to take time because I have to start producing masses of work. I just picked up groceries from the food bank on a day when they get fresh groceries so my cupboard is full of decent food and ready for crunch time. God, I'm sick of noodles. Heheheh... you could say starch builds character.

Mary K., I got your card and gift. Thank you so very much!

Cheers all...