Saturday, April 22, 2006

humble thanks of a destitute student...

So since I last wrote, I've worked my tail off to finish my last project...

Here is the result of my labors...

My final review was excellent, but in a slightly twisted way. I had one of those critics who should never be invited into the school but she's also one of those who no one else wants and so when it comes time to find critics at the end of a year, she's cheap and available... So it goes. Whereas all the other Canadians (students) sit and take whatever nonesense someone throws their way (really is a freaky cultural passivism), I am not Canadian... not by a longshot. So when this woman started saying ridiculous things, I gently brought her back to bear on topic time and again. The short version is that, in the end, I was able to respond to this woman in such a way as to make her stop speaking altogether. Don't worry, Mom, I wasn't mean, rude, unprofessional, or anything bad. That's the best part, I responded in a completely tactful manner and she had not a leg to stand on. I love it... god bless military training. She was so academically embarassed by her own words that she decided it better to wait until the next person to unload her bunk. So while I received little helpful feedback on my project, I had fun and so did the two dozen or so people who showed up to watch me. Even my professors were about to fall out of their chairs a couple of times... really, no one likes this lady. So now that studio is done I've submitted the page above to Luce Studio in San Diego in hopes of earning a one-month internship they are offering this summer. There are alot of people applying so I'm really not expecting anything, but here's to hope. I'll let you know sometime this next week...

On to more important things now... my mom sent out a call for help on my behalf to friends and family last week. The response has been something of a miracle. I wish I had more than words to offer in thanks... I don't even know who has sent money... I only know that the money sent will be enough to get me onto another bike and pay for living expenses in May, at least. Thank you, thank you, thank you all! I've told this story to all of my friends at school and, more than once, have heard, "Wow, you've got a good family." I do. My only thanks other than words will come someday when someone needs help from me. I hope I can give as much as you all have. Again, thank you. You've put food in my cupboards, you've bought me a new bike (soon), and you've untied the knot that's been in my stomach for a week or two. I am exceedingly grateful. And don;t worry... those who thought to mention it... I never spend money that family sends me on cigarettes. That's a secondary expense that I take care of if/when I can from my own funds. I've had to cut way down and switched to black market smokes from the indians. It's the best compromise I can do right now...

So that's it for now. I'm going to go write the beginnings of my last paper today... god help me. It's due Monday at noon... I figure I'll get the preliminary writing done today, major revisions tomorrow, and then editing Monday morning before I hand it in. Once that's done, it's time to beat feet downtown and find a stinkin job. I have applications out spanning a few different fields but haven't heard anything yet. I'll be sure to let everyoine know the second that changes. It's cloudy out today... good. That will make me want to stay inside and write.

Thank you all again... thank you so very much.