Sunday, May 14, 2006

Why Lynn Bradford rocks...

My relationship with my mother has been, at times, strained. Most of those times were when I was a retarded teenager. Thankfully, mom saw through that and held on through the storm. Today I sit in Canada having finished my first year of grad school and I can say without a doubt that I am only able to be here because of the love and support of my mother. When I told the family I was coming to Canada for school, some sighed, some disagreed, some nagged... mom started saving money for a plane ticket to visit. She said, "You're not going to get away from me, even if you do leave the country!" Mom has given me all the financial support she and Corey can and, more than once, a shoulder to cry on when I just couldn't take it anymore. More than once over the past year her words have calmed and comforted me. More than once she has talked me down from the ledge or saved some poor antagonist's life... a few lucky Canadians unknowlingly owe my mother for their continued health.

All that said, I think one of the most important things my mother has ever said to me is that she respects me. She's said it often in the course of conversations... never just as a one-line offering, but in a context that lets me know that she means it. Of all my mother has said to me, that simple offering has meant more to me, I think, than all of the other loving mom stuff. I know my mother loves me. I know she cares for me. I know she wants the best for me. But whose mother doesn't? My mother respects me and that makes me both sure and proud of the man I have become.

Lynn Bradford rocks because she's one of my closest friends. We are very different people but have developed a friendship that will last as long as we do. Mom, a thousand appologies for who I have, at times, been and a thousand thanks for you being who you are... see you in a few weeks.