Thursday, May 18, 2006

Summer plans, grades, etc...

So first off, grades came out a couple of weeks ago but I didn't know until last night. Turns out I received two A-'s and an A for the semester. Not what I would have given me but then I guess that's why I'm still in school, eh?

Aside from that, my other big news is that I've bought a plane ticket and am moving to San Diego to live with Mom for the summer. The ticket was pretty cheap ($300 one-way) and (again, thanks to Mom) I have a job waiting for me when I get there! One of Mom's friends has a firm that provides expert architectural testimony in courts and he needs someone to do some monkey work for the summer. Great! I think his words to Mom were, "I have work for him, I just hope it's not beneath him." Listen, after 9 years of military, nothing is beneath me. Heh. So I plan on spending my summer in linen and flip flops in sunny southern California! I'm going to take a half-dozen books I've been meaning to read/finish and... well, that's about it. I'm so thankful for this opportunity! As for Morph and Little Bit, Thomas will be using my apartment as an office over the summer so they'll have company a few days a week and my neighbor is going to feed them etc., because for those of you who know Thomas, you realize why I didn't even ask him.

In the meantime, I'm working on an 8000 word paper for publication still. I spend a few hours every day reading and taking notes. Haven't actually written anything yet but I have a solid thesis, a first-draft outline, and about 1000 words in quotes... not to mention I've been digging through seven or eight books for research. It's actually kinda fun... just takes discipline... which I have at times. Those snickering right now should imagine me giving a mean scowl. Yeah... like that. So I have to have this paper done before I leave. A week ago I wrote, I'll say that I had a month off doing absolutely nothing but wasting time, I had enough time to write a paper (that hopefully gets published), and the visa and job offer co-incided perfectly. I hope to write that within a month. So now, I can say that I've had a month off doing absolutely nothing but wasting time and writing a paper. I built a screen door for my basement apartment... it's bright red and hilarious. I've been reading alot, drawing some, and writing. I've watched the entire first season of Babylon 5, played Neverwinter Nights [video game] for a solid few days, and rearranged my apartment around my beautiful new loveseat my neighbor gave me. This has been some great time off. I'm fighting going stir crazy, but I generally just try to get out of the house during the day... I can't write here because it's too distracting. For instance, right now... I'm posting to my blog and eating lunch instead of working. When I'm done here I'll walk downtown to a coffee shop and work until 6 when I'll go to the National Gallery for my weekly art gallery trip. The work visa didn't work out for this year but California did. Besides, I know what I need to do and by when for my visa next year. Easy.

That's it for the time being. Plane tickets to Cali are cheap ($250 or so from Tulsa) and it doesn't require a visa if anyone wants to come visit. I'm trying to fiure a way to stop through Tulsa for a few days at Christmas, but if that doesn't work out it may be another year before I make it back to that area. Alright, I'm done with lunch... great timing.

Cheers...