Friday, February 24, 2006

Spring break...

So this week was spring break. Actually, it's called 'Reading Week.' They abolished spring here. 'Spring' semester is called 'winter' semester... 'spring break' is 'reading week'... next comes summer. I'm really ready for summer too... it's been unseasonably warm this winter (yeah, here too) so all of the snow and ice is still on the ground from thanksgiving, but between snows it warms just enough to turn the snow on the sidewalks into slush. Wet feet suck. Lesson learned: buy waterproof boots next year.
So I've spent my week working on re-submitting a grant request that got turned down last week, compiling paperwork to get a work visa, rearranging my apartment, working at studio, listening to Carl Sagan's The Demon Haunted World, Kurt Vonnegut's Breakfast of Champions, and Robert Solomon's Will to Power: The Philosophy of Friedrich Nietzsche. I've read all three, but yet another thing I love about architecture is that you can listen to books on tape while you draw, model, design, render, etc.. It's a great way to learn... multi-tasking, if you will, and really relaxing. I've gotten to hang out with Thomas, Suzi, and the kids (Steven, 12; Nicholas, 6 or 7; Peter, 16 months). I've had dinner ther a few times this week. They're great... my insurance against starvation.
Speaking of starvation, I came trudging home from school in the snow last night trying to think of what I could find to make for dinner and found a package waiting for me at the door! Darla Cottingham, long-time family friend, sent me a care package filled with food! It was a really nice night after that. My tiny little cupboard lookd so full! I made Chicken [of the sea] Fettuccine Alfredo and watched Fahrenheit 9/11. Man, I think Michael Moore has a talent for uncovering conspiracy, but I really can't stand that guy sometimes. I know that's what he wants... but I guess I'll just have to buy in. Anyway, if you haven't seen that movie, it's worth watching. Just pay attention to the facts about the people and try to block Moore's voice out... you ought to be fine.
So today I plan to go over to Thomas' house and play with Peter for a bit and then get some studio time in. I need to put away the laundry I finally washed sometime today too. Doing the dishes wouldn't hurt... off I go, then. Merci de la lecture. Au revoir.