Monday, February 06, 2006

No guff from the swine...

So I've conveyed a bit of what's been going on between my professor and I... very unprofessional relationship based on some unknown slight he's found against me. I went to the school director after two particularly nasty, particularly public outbursts by my prof on Friday and asked him [the director, Marco] to mediate a talk between my prof and I. Paul [my prof] wouldn't talk unless someone [his boss] made him. Marco was very supportive and understood the situation both from my words and from Paul's history as one of the worst-rated professors on faculty... consistently. So over the weekend, it was determined that Paul just could not come to terms with the situation and wanted me moved out of his studio instead of talking to me. Now I've been moved to the studio I requested in the first place. Much better. I told them that was not my preferred option because we're halfway through the semester already but evidently, Paul feels that I "constantly undermine his authority" because I always have questions. I don't know... doesn't make sense to anyone else either. HA! HAAA HA HA HA HA HA HA! HAAAAAA! I did it! I stayed quiet, took the verbal abuse for a few weeks and in the end Paul knew he had no cause to back his behavior and knew he could not come out looking good if we were to sit down in front of his boss! He knew that whatever his problem was (and I still don't know) he couldn't justify it. As opposed to sitting and having a conversation with me in front of a neutral party he'd rather just get rid of me! HAAAAA HA HA! I love it! Sweet poetic justice! This ALL started because Paul's friend who is in charge of studio placements told him that he wasn't my first choice and I had tried to get out of his studio. Paul was offended, I think, that I would agree with the MASS consensus and choose someone else to teach me. Things are now the way they should have been in the first place! I had such a great day! I felt like the one guy to make it out of Alcatraz! The studio I was moved to is really the only one where most of the people aren't constantly grumbling and waiting for the semester to be over! I've been moved into a smaller group of students, better profs, and a better project! So patience and suffering payed off this time, folks. I held my course, made sure I was minding my own business and doing what I was supposed to do and I let him yell his way into putting me in the studio I requested in the first place. The whole school knew about it by the end of the day. They had seen how he treated me and most every one of them was pulling for me. I got alot of "congratulations!" today... feels good. They were particularly impressed that I held my temper so well and never really reacted to him. I ["the American"] surprised them by being quiet, patient, and longsuffering. See... I'm doing our country proud and breaking stereotypes in a foreign land! So now I have to try to put money together to take a trip to NYC in a few weeks. We're driving so it may be manageable. We'll see... I don't have to go but it would be really helpful since my design project is sited in NYC. That's a whole new issue to tackle... which I can do now that I have had that tremendous weight lifted from my shoulders. Thank you! Good night!