Sunday, November 08, 2009

Won a silver medal this weekend

I fought in a Jiu Jitsu tournament this weekend in Langley, BC. Our friends, Shawn and Kelly, came to watch with Katy and everyone had a really good time. I won my first fight via armbar submission and lost my second fight on points. Though I wish I could have won the day for my friends and for my school, I was happy to have at least made a very good showing in my first fight. At the end of the day I walked away with a silver medal... not bad for my first tournament in four years. Anyway, here's a video of my first fight. I'd show the second, but it's just six minutes of me getting overpowered by a guy who is obviously much more acquainted with the gym than I. He never threatened with submissions, but he was able to take me down and keep me there. It's not the most impressive fight.

But this one...


The loud cheer at the end is Katy. I loved fighting for her. There's something primal about it... fighting to impress a woman. It's the first time she's watched me in a real match. She was a little nervous for me, she said in the end, but always really excited and supportive. I was glad she was there with me.

Anyway, going for a harmonica walk. Hope you all have a good week.

'Night.