Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Joyous rejoicing amidst a desperate economy!

Well, I've been out of the blogging groove for awhile because nothing I have to write about has been able to overcome the depression of looking for a job. It's hard to write about happy things when you're miserable and unsure looking for work. Well, today I found a short-term gig helping a guy do some wood framing on a condo downtown. I show up tomorrow and learn on the job. I kinda know what has to be done and I'm good with tools, so I'm hoping I pick it up quick. He's going to work me for a day and see if I'm worth keeping on for the next two weeks. If I can pull this off, I'll have income for 2 more weeks while I keep looking for a full-time job. The good part of being unemployed is that it's given me time to paint and draw a bit more. Here is a painting I did for my sister and gave her in SD. It's 30"x30" and the figure is life-sized. It's my favorite painting I've done yet.


As for the joyous rejoicing, this past weekend while in San Diego I proposed to Katy and she said yes! Yep, you heard that right... I have a fiance!!! I wasn't sure about it until the moment I asked the question. We talk about the very far future as if it were a given. There are plans for when we're old, potential business plans, vacation plans, child-rearing talks, etc. There doesn't seem to be a doubt in either one of our minds that we're going to grow old together. It's a strange feeling, really. I decided it was time because it rains constantly in Vancouver and we were going somewhere sunny and beautiful. Katy has met my mom before but this was the first time she met Kim. I thought it was a perfect opportunity to propose at sunset at the ocean. It wasn't a big production. We were sitting on rock cliff overlooking the ocean and just as the sun hit the water I got down on one knee asked her to stay with me forever and asked her if she would be my wife. She was shocked. No one saw it coming. I gave her a ring my mother gave me a few years ago. It's nice to be able to have an heirloom. God knows I can't afford a ring on my own. You should've seen my mom. She was sitting in a gazebo up at the edge of the cliff and she didn't see a thing. She said she was watching the sunset and thinking about nothing in particular. I yelled for her and showed her Katy's hand from about 30 feet away. I told her, "She said yes!" and she was utterly confused... for about 5 seconds. Then she lost it. She started crying and laughing and jumping up and down turning circles. No one up on shore could see Katy and I... they thought Mom was crazy. She just kept yelling, "My son is getting married!!!" She really likes Katy. So yeah, it was the right time. We'll wait for awhile, and we're not sure how many ceremonies there are going to be... maybe as many as 3. Yep... 3. One for her Indian family. THat ought to be a fun lot of dancing. One for her British family and one for my family. We have yet to figure any of that out but it's not pressing for the moment. I'm really happy, though it freaks me out a little that I have a fiance. It's weird. But, proposal or no, life goes on. No plans in the near future but stay tuned and I'll keep you updated.

Ok, off to make lunch. Wish me luck on the new job tomorrow. I don't have it cinched up yet... still have to prove I can frame a house!