Saturday, August 09, 2008

Oh so many pictures! [and videos!]

Well, we got our place unpacked and are all moved in here. I got a job Friday making really good money and I start Monday. That was a really big relief. I'll be working for a man named John Sproule at Sproule and Associates. (http://sproule-architects.com/) They're a small firm with about 8 people or so doing residential, commercial and resort work. It's a good scale for me... I don't have to design big tasteless skyscrapers and that's the important part. My office is easy to get to and is just a mile down the road. I went to school with one of the guys who works there, too. That's how I got my "in". It's really, really exciting for us... an adult job with adult pay doing actual architecture! They even hired me to be a designer and not a computer jockey! I'm excited to get started.

Otherwise, we're just trying to get settled in... you know, find our new coffee shop, bakery, grocery store, etc... explore, explore, explore! The weather has been nice and has only rained for a few of the days we've been here... it rains all winter, though, from what I'm told. We're preparing ourselves for that. Last night, Katy and I went downtown to celebrate my new job. We locked our bikes up to a steel railing at a busy intersection and went in to eat. When we came out, my bike was gone. They simply cut the lock (yes, on a busy street) and walked away with it... left the lock for me, even. It was a bummer. Luckily, Katy found a Craigslist add for a guy with a used bike and I bought a cheap bike this morning and a lock that was a bit more than the bike. This is the second time I've had a bike stolen... it won't happen to me again. I have to be building up some karma points somewhere with this. So we got over that tragedy quickly... and now we both have good [read: expensive] bike locks.

Well, that's about it for now. I'll throw some pictures and videos up now. Until next time...

Ok, I've posted videos on a different page so this one doesn't laod too slow. To see trip videos click here.



































*Look closely at the back of this trailer. You might have to click on the picture to blow it up.














More photos later... Mountains and Vancouver yet to go!