Sunday, December 31, 2006

This really can't get any worse...well, yes it can...

Hi everyone...

last night I tried to go home and they refused me at the border because my visa is expired. Short version of the story: my student loans didn't come in until a week before Christmas so there was a hold on my student records so I couldn't get my visa. I sent the paperwork off but it will take a month or two to get back. The Canadians must put all of their really mean people on the border because they were not nice to me last night and definitely won't let me back in the country. Now I am stranded in Niagara Falls, NY with a duffel bag full of clothes, $180 and my mac until I can get my paperwork in order... paperwork that all has to be done in Canada. I checked into a motel last night courtesy of mom and have last night and tonight paid for. I have to get proof of registration and attendance from Carleton, have to prove that I have a US residence (my taxes should work for that), have to prove that I have money above and beyond my TA job and student loans (that's tough but I have a plan) and... well, that should be it. I had a friend come over from Canada last night who was supposed to pick me up but ended up hanging out for a few hours and having to go instead. Mom gave me money before I left and my friend gave me about $90 so I have money to eat. Mom also filled a calling card with enough money to make phone calls. I have plenty of cold weather gear from Christmas (thank you Dad and Kim), I have my computer, and I have a good head on my shoulders. The motel will be $40 per night from tomorrow on and I expect to be here at least until Tuesday... more likely later. Tuesday will be the first day I can get ahold of Carleton to get records. I hope to have this sorted out by Wednesday. I think I can be called but I can't call out. I have to walk to a payphone to make calls. For now I think I'm okay... plenty of money to eat on and I'm working on getting another night or two of the motel paid for. Please keep your eye on my blog as I will update here... everything's okay for now. I'm just having a little adventure... that's all. If you're the praying type, pray away. If not, wish me luck... if you want to get ahold of me you can email or try to call at the motel.
I'm at Passport Inn in Niagara Falls, NY. I'm in room #110 and the number is (716) 285-2295. And if you know anyone in the Niagara Falls/Buffalo area who might be able to put me up for a night or two please let me know. I'll update here as soon as I know anything new.