Saturday, July 08, 2006

Movin' on up...

So this week's big news is that mom is moving downtown! She and Corey were looking for an apartment in the burbs but when a lead appeared on a place near downtown, she thought it would be worth at least looking into. Not two weeks later and voila! She loves this new place... it's a nice little gentrified joint just on the fringe of downtown. I'm going to go see it today for the first time and then she and I are meeting one of her urbane co-workers for a jaunt through the neighborhood. I'm excited for her because I think she's going to love urban life... I'm excited for me because my last month in California is going to be in the city! The trolley is a half mile down the street and the heart of downtown is a mile away. She's getting really excited about the move... she hates actually moving but she's excited to get to a new place. In the Army we always said that the best two places you'll ever be are the place you just came from and the place you're going... I can attribute to that. So we'll be moving in two weeks... lots to do. On a related note, I think Thomas and Suzi are buying a house in Ottawa so I will be helping them move too a week after I get home. Anyone else while I'm at it?

The other big news of the week is my computer. I sent it off last week for repairs and, though it cost me alot more money to fix than I wanted to spend, it came back almost a wholly new computer. The only parts that are from the old computer are the back case of the display, the hard drive, and the disk drive. They installed a new logic board, new sound card, new fan, new display, new case, and new keyboard... it's just like having a new computer all over again! I'm excited to have it back. In fact, I'm sitting outside writing right now. It's a beautiful morning... the one thing this place has going for it is that the mornings and evenings are almost always perfect... no matter how hot it gets during the day.

I'm almost done with another book... this one is a much more involved read than the rest of my summer list so far so it's taking me longer to get through it. It's called The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. Jenne recommended it... imagine that. It took awhile for me to really get into it and I was growing skeptical as to how good a book it really was (though it is a Pulitzer) but without warning I found myself hooked. I don't generally get emotionally involved in books but this one has won me over. I have a hundred pages or so to finish... hopefully this weekend... and then I'm going to take on book 3 of Stephen King's Dark Tower. After that I had a book given to me by a lady at work called The Untold Story of Mao that I'm excited to get started. I'm hoping to finish those two books and then the remaining four books of The Dark Tower this month... heavy load but I think I can do it.

Guess that's it for now. I'm going to go fish some laundry out of the dryer, clean my room and read... exciting stuff, huh? Until next time... peace.

"Every golden age is as much a matter of disregard as of felicity" -Michael Chabon, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay