Saturday, July 15, 2006

January Hangover

by Pedro Pietri (New York)

To be with you is my desire
To stay away from you is my ambition
The magic of your great moments
Awakens the superior inspiration
Responsible for perfect compliments
We have many things to talk about
And we have nothing to talk about
The religion of the sleepless candle
Detaining the discovery of daylight
When the definition of madness is love
Was lit by your knowledge of darkness
Your comfort corrects all the mistakes
I was born to make in this world
You are a very simple person
With a complicated personality
Uninvited visitors with visions
Of watering your plants everyday
Commit suicide to write poems about you
It is impossible to love you madly
Without actually loving you madly
For the best results of your secrets
Of summer I will sacrifice my sanity
And become brilliantly absentminded
To remember how much I adore you

poem taken from Bum Rush the Page, Tony Medina & Louis Reyes Rivera, ed.