Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Great Art Swap: entry 1

It has come!  I received a package in the mail from Imaginary Thomas with his part of the art swap.  It's a 12"x12" paper collage and it's called Old Friends.  I'm stoked to have it.  Check it out.

 


 

I love it!  The eye on the guy is so expressive, made so by such a subtle little line.  The textures of the papers (only partially evident in the photograph) make it such a rich image and give it a depth that is really emphasized by the contrast between the bright white monster and the dark background.  And the story!  It's a lot of what makes his work so unique is his ability to tell half of a story through image and half through narrative... neither being enough on its own, and yet together they feel as though you have opened a familiar book to the middle and begun to read.

I have pictures of what I sent him, but he hasn't received it yet and he reads my blog, so I shan't ruin it. I will say that I sent a box weighing almost 6 kilos, though!  Bring a bag when you go to the post office, Imaginary Thomas!