Monday, May 25, 2009

Happy Memorial Day

I miss being a soldier.
I miss marching.
I miss PT.
I miss belonging.
I miss the uniform.
I miss serving.
I miss the adventure.
I miss the discipline.
I miss the toys.
Mostly, I miss the guys.

I often find it hard these days to be proud that I was a soldier because I got out just as we went to war. It's like I was only a practice soldier. I find it hard to identify myself with these boys who have been in harm's way for so long now because they are fighting and I didn't. I go back and forth between feeling like I missed out and feeling like I lucked out.

But I never forget to thank our boys every time I see them on the news or read about them in the paper. I never forget what these guys are sacrificing. I never forget how much each and every one of those men and women in our armed forces loves their country.

There are no greater American patriots than those who step forward and say, "Send me." To them I am forever grateful, no matter the politics behind their deployment. To my brothers and sisters in the armed forces, past and present, I say thank you for your selflessness. Thank you for your service. Thank you for your courage.