Sunday, May 31, 2009

The funniest thing happened last night...

Yesterday evening I went for a harmonica walk in my neighborhood, much like any other night. As I made my way down one of the back alleys I heard footsteps behind me and turned to find a woman running to catch up with me from a couple of houses back. She introduced herself as Julie and said, "Hi, I've heard you playing a couple of times before and you sound great and all and I'm having a party in my back yard..." [at this point, it seemed as though the next line was going to be, "...so could you stop?" but in fact...] "...and I was wondering if you'd like to come play a couple of songs for the party?" [Whaaaa?] My response, "Didn't see that one coming!" So I semi-reluctantly followed her into her back yard as I explained that I'd never really played in front of people before (Ok, that's a lie but an open mic and someone's family in their backyard are two different things) and she explained that I sounded good and they would all enjoy hearing a song or two anyway. She won me over by saying they had cake. I like cake.

So I walk into this backyard to find a dozen-plus members of her family sitting around a table filled with tea and desserts. Two of the ladies said that several people in their family play harmonica and that I played well (a compliment from afficianados!) and they all asked for a song. Well, I warned them that I could only try my best and invited them to talk amongst themselves. I put on my sunglasses and pulled my hat down low and began playing "Oh, Shenandoah." To my surprise, a few of them (emphasis on the older crowd) knew the song and began singing along. I played a medely of a couple of songs and a little freeform jamming and they dutifully talked amongst themselves. It was an awesome feeling playing for a group of people who asked to hear me, instead of playing for people who are forced into listening by way of proximity. I finished my first song and we talked for a few minutes. They asked if I wanted cake or tea, but quickly realized that I couldn't play while chewing so they offere me a plate of desserts to take home in exchange for one more song. Deal! Julie (the lady who invited me in) requested something "bluesy" like she had heard me play in the alley before. I left my glasses off for this one but shut my eyes and began playing "Oh, Sweet Jesus." They loved it. One lady went inside and grabbed two spoons and came back out playing the spoons against her leg. I let her become the rhythm and played with her. That surprised and pleased them. I played until my mouth was too dry to go on and received quite a boisterous applause at the end.

They packed up my plate of desserts and I left them with a fond farewell and a heartfelt thanks for their kindness. They were such nice people and it was a pleasure and honor to play for them. I took my cake and disappeared down the alley with a song. When I got home I handed Katy the plate and said, "Baby, let me tell you the story of how I got you cake..."