Monday, September 22, 2008

Ahhh Monday...

Morning all,

Hope you're all off to a vigorous start to your new week. I'm not. I have a crappy bed and I toss and turn all night. Sucks waking up feeling like you haven't really slept that long. We're hoping to get a new bed sometime after Christmas. Poor Katy doesn't have experience sleeping on the ground or in tanks and trucks, either. I really feel sorry for how bad our bed makes her feel.

Nonetheless, we both got up and out the door okay... usually do. She has her first crit at school today and I have to put together my first set of drawings for a building permit. Nothing major... just a garage. It will be a good exercise.

I received a well-written editorial this morning from my friend Bonnie. You can read it here. It deals with the current financial crisis in the States and how it ties to the presidential election. I think you may be as surprised as I was.

I went flipping through the news and uncovered a relatively mainstream story I was very unaware of. Any of you remember the savings and Loan scandal back in the late 1980's - early 1990's right around the time big daddy Bush took office? They dubbed it the S&L Scandal and at it's center was a man named Charles Keating and his infamous "Keating Five," a group of politicians and lawmakers who were essentially on Keating's payroll. Well, guess what? John McCain was one of those five. Yes, John McCain, the man running for president of the United States, the maverick, the reformer, was formerly implicated in a savings and loan scandal very similar to the one we are seeing now. I don't have time to summarize the articles because I have drawings to attend to, but you can read a November 1989 newspaper article from the Phoenix New Times and get the story for yourself. It's called, "McCain: The Most Reprehensible of the Keating Five."

This election just does not cease to surprise me.

Ok, off to earn my dime. Have a great day, everyone.