Monday, October 09, 2006

A grown man and his blanket[s]

I was getting ready for bed and thought I'd write something I often think about. I have several blankets on or around my bed and every one of them (with one... now two exceptions) are quilts or afghans made by one grandmother or another. I get alot of scowls and finger-shaking for using some of these old quilts, but they're the most comfortable blankets! Besides, I get a real kick out of keeping warm under something one of my granparents made 10, 20 or 30 years ago. Their labor in creating those blankets still keeps one of their family comfortable at night. I know I should hang them on the wall or store them, but what good would they do anyone then? I think any one of the women who sewed these blankets would be glad I'm still keeping warm under them. Thanks Grandma. Thanks Great Grandma. Thanks Nannaw. Sorry if I left anyone out... mom, did I?