Thursday, July 09, 2009

Worst first night without girlfriend ever

So this morning I took Katy to the airport and said goodbye to her for the next 2 months. She'll be at home in Toronto for a couple of weeks visiting her folks and her friends and then she's off to Amsterdam for a month of school. So naturally, tonight could not have gone without incident.

All was well when I got home from work, save the eerie quiet of an empty house and the distinct lack of hugs. I paced around trying to decide what to do with myself until finally I committed to cooking dinner. That started okay, but about five minutes from being done, I blew the main breaker for the apartment. Too much power draw. I had a few too many lights on, the radio and my wok. I think it blew when the fridge kicked in. Stupid old wiring. So this wouldn't have been a problem, except the main breaker isn't located in our apartment. It's across the hall. In a locked room. I was very fortunate, though, in that one of my neighbors is a handyman for the building's owner. He didn't have keys to the locked room, but he did have all the right phone numbers to call to get someone here to help. No one was answering their phones and I had to wait 3 hours before the building manager arrived, but when he got here, we flipped the switch and all was well. It turns out that 75% of our electrical isn't on the breaker in our apartment. Sheez...

So once I got the lights back on I started cleaning up the kitchen and packed the leftovers from dinner (which, thankfully, were finished enough to eat when the breaker blew) for my lunch tomorrow.

I dropped them.

I want my girlfriend back already.