Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Does anyone read this thing?

Just curious...

So school is back to full speed... well past it, in fact. My studio professor is an uptight little man with something to prove... he really doesn't like me. He came to my desk, in fact, the first day and started an argument. I don't know how I'll deal with him... nothing I do appeases him and I, unfortunately, am in a position where he controls my financial aid next year. I have no doubt that I can perform above the standard in my other classes and recieve the grade I deserve... I also have no doubt that whatever I recieve in studio will not be the grade I deserve. It's tough beginning a semester knowing all of this... makes you really not want to do the work knowing that it will all be for naught. So it goes...

My portfolio and grad school application are due on February 1st... my portfolio is started but nowhere near done... all of the rest of my paperwork is basically taken care of. I'm tired... I'm weary... since school began last semester it's been all work and no play... almost to an excessive level. That's the nice thing about being here though... no distractions.

As most of you know, I've been looking for somewhere to go for the summer because I can't work while on a student visa... well I found out yesterday that I can apply for an exception to the visa policy under the "destitute student" clause! All I have to do is prove that I'm broke (empty bank statement) and that my family can't support me and they will let me have a work visa! If you can't tell, this is outstanding news! Now I can find a job here and stay for the summer... I was going to have to deal with moving on a zero budget and it wasn't going to be fun. I'll travel next year when I have money but for now I'll stick around here and see what job I can find to squeak through the summer. Now I have something else to deal with... and I'd much rather it be this than moving! Unfortunately, that means I won't be back in the states this year... working a job for 4 months isn't going to afford me any time or money for travel so maybe next year. I'll come back eventually... unless the Republicans steal another election... in which case I'm considering Switzerland, England, or... well, anywhere off the continent.

Canada is having an election this week I think... they were not satisfied with the job their Prime Minister was doing so they elected to throw him out and hold elections for a new leader. Problem is, their conservative party is getting alot of funding and press time, but no one can figure out how because not that many people really support them. Answer? American money pumped into the Canadian system so that the Bush-friendly candidate can win. It's already been said that if the conservatives take office they will join the desert debacle we've created. If the conservatives take power they are going to open up more oil to the states (Canada is our #1 supplier of oil. We drill it there, pump it all the way back to the states, mark up the price and then sell it back to the Canadians at a higher price than what we pay... and it's their oil!). Canadians are outraged and rightfully so.

So yes, if this regime manages to plant another republican president Canada is not far enough away. That's a story for another day though. Hopefully, after Bush blatantly sidestepped the law (a law written to allow the president a means to legally sidestep the law, I might mention) with his wiretap funny business, they'll find enough evidence to finally impeach him. It's only being whispered right now, but there are multiple law suits being filed against the government and there is an official investigation underway. He broke the law... bad... and is trying to justify it. Hopefully things will be all better soon. I wouldn't mind coming back to the states sometime...

I have a paper to write tonight so I'm going to go get on that. Really, let me know if you read this. Drop a line and say hey or something... I'm not really sure if I'm talking to myself or not. Then again, I talk to myself alot so it wouldn't be that big a deal. Until next time...