Friday, February 22, 2008

ahhhh... relaxation

Hi all,

I'm enjoying a relaxing morning in Montreal and thought I'd write a quick hello before I got involved in schoolwork again. Katy and I took a nice little budget vacation to Quebec City with a ocuple of friends this week and we're just wrapping it up today. Katy left the bed and breakfast this morning to catch a flight to Toronto where she will spend a few days with her parents. We've had a fantastic week! There will be lots of pictures posted, but not until I can get home to go through them first. We stayed at a gorgeous little b&b in Quebec city and spent our days wandering the 400 year old city - the oldest (and only remaining) walled city in North America. Wednesday afternoon was my favorite day. Our friend, unfortunately, got sick so Katy and I were on our own for the day. It was nice, though, because a monir misfortune turned into a long, pleasant day of Katy and I wandering on our own. We had a nice lunch, dipped our head into a museum to see an exhibit on dragons(!) that was free because we got there 30 minutes before close. We went down a massive ice slide on toboggans (look to the blog for videos of this one soon). We ate a fantastic French lunch (Quebec is the heart of French-Canada). Generally speaking, it was a great day for both of us and we got some much-needed time together. We've both been stressed about school and moving and... well, mostly school. Anyway, our b&b in Quebec was wonderfully staffed and perfect for our stay. Yesterday we left QC and drove 3 hours back towards Ottawa but stopped for the night in Montreal. Kim, you would love Montreal. If you ever want to plan an exotic vacation in North America, Montreal is your kinda city, if ever your kind existed. We are staying in what has turned out to be an amzing b&b here (never stay in hotels... b&b are always better in my experience). We're at the Alexandre Logan (http://www.alexandrelogan.com/HomeE.htm) in room 5. It's been rated top b&b in Montreal for a few years now. It's run by a wonderful, dulcet-toned, soft-spoken French-Canadian man who takes great pride in his establishment. He has no real staff, to speak of, and does most things himself during this, the off-season. He met us at the door and helped take our bags upstairs then gave us a map tour of Montreal before saying goodnight and retiring to his home at the other end of the b&b. We went our last night for a nice low-key dinner and sat at a hookah bar and had sheesha for a couple hours. Katy and I got up early this morning and wet downstairs where we were served the most *amazing* breakfast! We didn't even have to order. Alexandre (the owner) said good morning and gave us coffee (me) and tea (katy) then disappeared into his kitchen. Ten minutes later he emerged with a fantastic open-faced breakfast sandwich on criossant. Most amazing breakfast I've eaten probably since having a salmon egg white omelet with mom in SD. Katy caught a cab to the airport and here I sit upstairs writing to You. We'll pack up and head home in a few hours where I will unpack, then crack down and hit the thesis again. I hope to talk to you guys on the phone soon. I leave for India in 3 weeks... still can't believe I'm going! (News is on the blog if you missed that one... I got research funding to go to India by myself for 3 weeks!!!!) So now I'm going to do some writing. Have a good weekend, everyone!